Getting locked out of your apartment is undoubtedly a frustrating and anxiety-inducing experience. It always seems to happen at the worst possible moment, leaving you feeling helpless and stranded. That’s why we, at FobToronto and MiniFob, highly recommend being prepared for such unexpected situations by having a spare key and key fob readily available.
Having a spare key can be a lifesaver, sparing you the hassle of waiting for a locksmith or bothering your landlord. With a backup key and keyfob on hand, you can swiftly regain access to your apartment without unnecessary delays or stress. Now that you’ve got your backup, the question arises: where should you hide it?
Gone are the days of leaving spare keys under the doormat or in obvious spots that every thief knows too well. Instead, let’s explore some smart, safe, and creative ideas to keep your spare key secure yet easily accessible:
1. Trustworthy Neighbors: If you have a reliable next-door neighbor or a friendly neighbor on the same floor, consider asking them to keep a spare key in case of emergencies. This can be a convenient and secure option, especially if you have a close-knit community.
2. Secret Garden Spot: Opt for a secret garden spot to hide your spare key. Place it in a waterproof container, such as a medicine bottle, and bury it within a potted plant in your garden. If you don’t have a personal garden, you can choose a specific location in a nearby park or green space, ensuring it’s a few blocks away from your apartment.
3. Lockbox Solution: For added security and peace of mind, invest in a lockbox to securely store your spare key and key fob. Rather than keeping it right outside your door, which can be too conspicuous, choose a discreet location down the street or around the corner. Lockboxes come in various sizes and designs, making it easy to find one that fits your needs.
4. Patio Perks: If your apartment has an accessible patio from the exterior, take advantage of this space to hide your spare key. You can tape the key under a chair or your storage box for cushions, making it easily retrievable for you but virtually undetectable to anyone else.
5. Office Backup: Consider leaving one set of spare keys at your office. This way, if you ever forget your keys at home during a rushed moment, you’ll have a reliable backup waiting for you at your office desk. This option is particularly helpful for those who work in close proximity to their apartments.
Remember, it’s essential to keep your spare key in a place that’s both accessible to you and discreet to others. By following these smart storage solutions, you can ease your worries about getting locked out and ensure a smooth and secure key retrieval process. Safeguard your peace of mind and enhance your apartment living experience with a well-placed spare key and key fob!